Thursday 10 May 2007

Not Looking At All Promising

L's slipping a bit with her early starts as is the dog, who looks almost incapable of going out this morning. Still though L is up quite early and is even strong enough to resist an impressive attempt by my body to tempt her back to bed.

Take the bus today and soon get fed up with the girl behind me, who keeps disrupting my attempt to read the paper by being constantly on her mobile phone. First she rings a friend of hers, and then she rings her Mum. These people must be very understanding to be happy to take phone calls at 8am when I'm sure they've got better things to do. Her third call seems to get a frostier reception. Unfortunately I only get to hear her side of the conversation.

"Hello Babe, how are you?"
"Oh sorry I didn't mean to disturb you"
"Well I didn't know you'd got a day off today, why didn't you say?"
"Who's that there with you?"
"No, I definitely heard a voice, a girl's voice"
"Your Mum? I thought you said you were still in bed"
"Then what's your Mum doing in your bedroom?"
"Goodbye"

Oh dear.

L says someone had accidentally bolted the park gates from the inside and the staff couldn't get in this morning. That’s quite funny, even the staff are getting locked out the park now. Now they know how the rest of us feel.

Pub lunch. No chips, braised steak, mash and veggies + low alcohol beer Caythorpe 3.7%

While I've been languishing in the pub L's been for a swim in her lunch hour, which is impressive. The pool was packed and with swimmers, not walkers and talkers.

She warns me that she will eat the entire contents of the fridge tonight. I tell her that she better not and I threaten to tie her to her deckchair for her own safety.

The weather forecast is not looking at all promising for the weekend.

Squash gets cancelled; opponent is at home ill today. Bugger, that means I’ll have to run with my waster of a dog. That's 1-1 on cancellations. Looking forward to the decider next week. Best excuse wins. I must be ahead on points; a dodgy shoulder is a much better excuse than just plain boring 'ill'.

Get home and do a run in my new trainers. L takes Doggo for a walk so that I don't have the baggage with me. The new shoes don't feel quite right and I more or less decide to do the event in my old pair. Then half way through they seem to feel better, so now I'm not sure.

I have arranged to meet L and Doggo by the park gates so that we can have a couple of beers in the Rodney. Complete my run and they're not there so I do another small loop. Complete that and just as I'm about to go around again they appear. Relief, I can stop now.

Pint of Dr Someone's IPA 4.5%, a bit dodgy. Pint and a half of Landlord.

L tells me that her work colleague is upset that her daughter has split up from her boyfriend, whom she has been seeing for quite a few years. Her Daughter is 28 and she worries that her daughter will now be left on the shelf. Excuse me? She thinks that no one will want her and she won't be able to get herself man. At 28? What tosh. Unless she's really really ugly then they'll be queuing up for her. As I said to L I'd have her. I got a slap round the ears for that. Doggo gave me a sympathetic look. He gets lots of slaps round the ears.

Cook up a spicy Spam Madras for L and me.

Bedtime and L seems keen to make up for ignoring my body's request for attention this morning. Who am I to resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment