Wednesday 23 May 2007

Flippin' Flip Turns

Survived yet another bike ride. Very pleasant it was but it wasn't at all nice. Nice is banned.

Daughter took herself off for a bike ride last night. This morning she was particularly ferocious when I left for work, so from that I assume that it did her some good.

There's an interesting cycling event coming up in York. World Naked Bike Ride. Think of the aches afterwards. Think of the saddle sore. L would have to give me some very gentle TLC. Hmmm. Might go for it.

L's putting in extra training today, at work. They have no receptionist today so she's running up and down two flights of stairs. That's good training, apart from the fact that she's not supposed to be running. Would be a disaster if she had a relapse; I'd have another few months of hunt the X. Exhausted by all the running up and downstairs, L heads off for a spot of retail therapy in Selectadisc.

Cycle home and detour through Breaston to do a short stretch of the Tri course and then I head off to the pool to meet L for a swim. Get in the pool and get a lane to myself. That is until L gets in it. As we swim up and down she looks particularly mean and fierce. I realise what does it. It's the goggles. Thing is I have an almost identical pair. Does that mean I look fierce too? Cool.

I start to try some flip turns which at first are so bad I assume they look hilarious but 'luckily' no one is looking. Which isn't reassuring if I need to be pulled out by an attendant. I start to get the flip right but keep missing the pool wall, which is kind of essential to get a push off. I improve, a touch, but they are far from impressive but it's a start.

The two showers are occupied both when I arrive hot and sweaty from my bike and in dire need of a shower and also when I get out smelling of chlorine. Top hygiene levels at these council pools.

Two chaps get out of the pool in those ridiculous three quarter lengths shorts. They strip off their wet shorts, and both put on near identical pairs of the same to go home in. Oh dear.

L goes off for a power walk on the park but without Doggo because he’s down for extra weave practice at dog class. Unfortunately when we get to dog class, some bright spark has decided to set up a course for training which, yep you guessed it, doesn't contain weaves. So it's going to be a case of everything crossed at the weekend.
Huge embarrassment for UEFA, and for football as a whole, as the Italian match fixing experts AC Milan beat Liverpool to win the European Cup. Last summer Milan were docked 15 points in Serie A and barred from playing in Europe after being found guilty. Of course the Italian authorities caved in and reduced the penalty to 8 points and let them back into Europe.

We both go to bed. Even I'm feeling knackered after two days cycling and swimming. L doesn't immediately curl up and turn the light off; this slight delay is fatal and allows me to round the day off in the way that all days should be rounded off.

No comments:

Post a Comment