Friday 11 May 2007

Fishnets and Vasectomies

In car. Good journey, no traffic.

After I watched a white van cut across the front of a fellow cyclist yesterday at the Asda roundabout, it reminded me that I never received an answer to a question I had posed to the 'Streetcare Resources Directorate' (???) department of Derby City Council in November as to why there is no white lining at this roundabout. So I drop them an email to see if they've managed to find out why yet.

Got a reply straight back, ticking me off for being impatient. The matter has been passed to the relevant person, who is looking into it and will reply as soon as possible. Six months is seemingly not a long time to the council.

An email is sent round at work saying that the company has been offered complementary tickets for all staff to see Coldplace, a Coldplay tribute band, play a gig on Monday. Can you imagine anything worse? Other than seeing the real thing.

I pick L up on my way home, she was walking back from the physio. The physio has again marked her bottom with a cross and when we get home, she seems more than happy to show it to me again. Last time I could find no visible mark. This time, again, there is no perceptible evidence of a mark. I'm still sure she's having me on. Inspection over but she’s still bent over the bed, not showing any sign of getting up. She must after something. Would be rude not to oblige.

Responsibilities taken care of and after something unhealthy to eat, I'm off to Bingham for the six monthly polytechnic reunion. Well there are only three of us but it's a good excuse for a few beers. Actually tonight there are four of us, because a guy we used to lodge with in Mapperley joins us. It's good to see the chap. As a lodger he was untidy, irresponsible, unhygienic, noisy, disruptive, unhelpful, etc etc, bit of a pain really, which was why we moved out to live somewhere else. Naturally now he's married with a kid but it doesn't seem much else has changed. Nice lad though. He even brings his camera to photograph the occasion or is he just providing evidence to his wife that he's not out on the pull.

He does drag us out of our safe habitat in our usual pub and demand to see the town, not that that will take very long. I was just enjoying my second low alcohol Fullers Chiswick 3.6% and looking forward to working my way up to St Austell HSD 5.0%. When I was dragged away. As we experienced the sights I was subjected to Bombardier (very dull), Spitfire (average), and Landlord (not bad).

There's an oldish woman in the pub in fishnets who gets me singing the Arctic Monkey's 'Florescent Adolescent' in my head. Although I think she's out to prove the lyrics wrong, be a rascal, and get it in her fishnets rather than her nightdress. I was just pondering on whether she liked her 'gentlemen not to be gentle' when I realise that our discussion has turned around to vasectomies. How did we get here?

No comments:

Post a Comment