Friday 16 March 2007

Someone Else's Legs

Wake up with someone else's legs, they certainly don't feel like mine. Ought to bike today but also need to swim. Such is the dilemma for us 'athletes'. In the end I wimp out of bike and snuggled up to L instead.

Get up and pay L £1.60 for school dinners/bus fare or was it for services rendered.

Many moons ago I went to Rock City with a mate of mine and his then girlfriend, who I seem to remember was a particularly ferocious piece of skirt, to see the Levellers. At that gig I bought a red tour t-shirt. Today is Red Nose Day and the kids have gone to school wearing something red. Well Son is wearing a jumper that's got a bit of red trim on it. Daughter is wearing that t-shirt. I noticed as she was leaving that the t-shirt is older than she is. The year – 1992! How time flies.

It's also options D-Day for Daughter and everyone seems to be trying to push her into doing music. It is one of her best subjects, she has flute to grade 4 and as such is almost a shoe-in for a grade A but she's not keen. In the end it goes down as first reserve. L wonders whether the school might be cunning and put her in music anyway. I would say it's a possibility. Results are everything these days. However I assume the health and social care course that she's opted for has been invented to boost their results anyway. Only 1 out of 18 failed it last year. Whoops can't say the word failed. I meant didn’t get a C or above.

We're rapidly running out of toilets at work. Upstairs was declared unusable yesterday, now the downstairs one is playing up. Everyone's got one eye on the car park, checking to see where the quietest corner might be. It's a good job L didn't cook one of her hot curries last night. Apparently the plumber who works for the contractors who built the building doesn't do toilets. Must be nice to pick and choose what projects to take on. Dynarod have been summoned.

Nipped into town at lunch and bought a watch from a market stall. It's a bit naff but what do you expect for a fiver.

Dynarod come to our rescue.

I drive to the pool to meet L, who is walking up with Doggo. Oddly there's no traffic and I’m 20 minutes early. They arrive and Doggo gets to guard the car again. Leisure centre car parks are becoming a speciality of his.

I manage to do race distance in a sprint tri (20 lengths), twice. This is much better than last week. Despite this blinding performance other swimmers are still trying to undermine me. There's a girl is our lane who is front crawling slowly to try and put me off. Not only that, she swims half a length underwater before taking a breath. Now that's just silly. I struggle to complete one stroke without breathing.

After that we take Doggo out for a run. This is the first time I've taken him out with his new lights. To be honest I'm embarrassed to be seen with him. In fact Doggo looks embarrassed to be seen with himself. What we put him through in the interests of safety. Keep checking the sky for aeroplanes; it is possible that aircraft might mistake him for the runway at East Midlands.

We end up at the Plough and I have three pints. Although L isn't impressed with the beer. The beers at the Plough are all a bit samey and an acquired taste. So she doesn't drink much, I think she's saving her units for a blow out tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment