Wednesday 21 March 2007

Bring On 'The Pulse'

Up really early, having got my warm-up in early last night. Obviously it's tempting to go through the routine again particularly as it says -0.5 degrees on the thermometer. They always stress that you should make sure you're thoroughly warmed up before doing any sport.

It's cold but sunny. Wind not too bad. Really nice ride on the bike. Having read some tips in Cycling Weekly I opt to try out a faster cadence today (pedalling quicker!) rather than pushing a big gear all the time. Does seem to make the hills easier, although overall it's a bit slower.

L says it snowed while they were on the park. I didn’t see any snow, must have been too busy looking at the view.

Bob Woolmer's post mortem proves inconclusive. His death is now being treated as suspicious. Rumours abound of murder or suicide as everyone awaits the final pathologist's report.

Find out that my squash colleague who I'm trying to coach up to a mammoth 5K once did the Southwell 10k. He kept that very quiet. He retorts that it was a very long time ago and he nearly died doing it.

Daughter tried hard to get another day off school this morning, although apart from a small cough there didn't seem to be much wrong with her. TV must have been good yesterday. Anyhow this morning the school contacts L to say that Daughter has reported herself as ill and wants to come home before being being well enough to go back into class. There was little point L going to fetch her as it would take her an hour or more to get there. Then at 2pm Daughter does sign herself out of school and come home.

Budget Day and Gordon Brown seems to admit he got it wrong in 1999 when he introduced the 10p tax rate to help the poorest in society. Today he abolishes it and takes 2p off the basic rate of tax instead.

I bike home, over the Ilkeston hills for the first time in months, now that the light is good enough. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Time wasn't too bad either.

Just in case Daughter really is ill we keep her away from the Guides Gang Show she was due to go to. Can hardly send her if she's signed herself off school as sick.

Dog class. We are again brilliant. We even get a round of applause for a particularly flawless clear round. Some of the others struggle. Mind you it helps that I have a more sedate dog. The other handlers struggle to control their faster dogs. If only they set courses like that in the events, then we'd have a chance.

Doggo's rival, a red and white collie, is in an unruly mood and has a go not only at Doggo but some of the other dogs as well. Though it serves Doggo right for bating him by barking as he does his round. I can just imagine the abuse that he is shouting at him.

Tonight we arrange my 40th Birthday Treat and sign up for the Heart Of England Duathlon at Stoneleigh Park. There are two events oddly called The Big Beat and The Pulse. We opt for The Pulse (5km Run - 25km Bike - 2.5km Run). I thought as it’s my birthday I’d invite all my friends along to do it with me. They could hardly refuse, as it's my birthday. Could they? L is so enthusiastic that she's booked the following day off work to recover. I will only allow myself the day off if I beat that girl with the wobbly bottom.

L hits the Pelforth but I am good I don't. I had 37 units last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment