Thursday 29 March 2007

Making Rivers

The alarm goes off and I feel quite fresh despite my 'double bricking'. L is awake too and looking particularly shaggable. It would be rude not to, wouldn't it and I have plenty of time as I'm in the car today. I can't claim it was a warm-up as I'm not biking today but what the hell. Once atop my gorgeous girl I realise that the old legs are perhaps not as 'fresh' as I would have liked but all the same I get through it. You have to don't you.

Traffic awful, would have been much easier by bike

L's had the school on the phone asking her permission for Son to go in tomorrow on his INSET day to complete a project. The teacher isn't pleased that he'll have to come into school tomorrow himself and hence give up a day of his holiday. Hmmm. Holiday? It's an INSET day. You know a teacher-training day when all the staff are supposed to be in school. Definitely not a holiday. That's the official line anyway. We all know its sham.

Go into town at lunch to get Euros for our ski trip and a 'go faster' haircut. It’s not exactly radical but no one will beat me down that mountain (cue maniacal laughter).

No pub today and no squash either because we're going to the PotFest tonight.

Take doggo for a run and ball mini brick session on the park. Give Son a nudge about working on his project. Quick bowl of soup. Then I catch the same Red Arrow that L should have caught out of town. Thankfully we do get on the same bus.

PotFest is pretty good. Although all L's drinks are better than mine. As usual. I reckon I have six halves of strong stuff and two quarters (we split two ales that are 9.0% and a 12.5%).

We leave early to catch the 10.50 Red Arrow. We arrive five minutes early but it still doesn't turn up. Gone early again we assume. We get the slow bus through Long Eaton instead. This is a particularly slow torture when we're both bursting for the loo. Once off the bus we both make a dash for the cover of the bushes on Adams Hill. Not for any midnight romantising you understand. We avail ourselves of the limited facilities there, outside the posh houses, both making impressive rivers down the road.

Get home. Daughter told us not to get wrecked before we went out. We are both wrecked.

In a drunken stupor I cook up a quick spam curry and serve it with naan. Then I catch up on the first day of the World Track Championships in Mallorca. The GB team only delivered two of the hoped for three gold medals. Which is still pretty good! As expected Bradley Wiggins won the individual pursuit final easily. He caught his German opponent inside the third of the four kilometres.



Victoria Pendleton and Shanaze Reade won the women's team sprint title but the men's team sprint trio had to settle for silver, despite clocking the best time in qualifying they were beaten by defending champions France by just two-thousandths of a second in the final. Bradley goes for gold again tomorrow in the team pursuit and then again on Saturday in the Madison.

Get to bed around 1.30. Not great preparation for an early morning and a long journey on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment