Wednesday 28 March 2007

Howl

I'm awoken in the middle of the night by a very high-pitched howl. I sit up and look at L (phoar!) who is sat bolt upright. She claims it wasn't her. Doggo looks positively serene, so he's pretending it wasn't him. Could have been an animal outside I suppose.

L reckons it could have been me, dreaming of being overtaken by women cyclists. Dream? That would be a nightmare.

Get back to sleep. Alarm goes off. Bugger. Forgot to move the alarm forwards but then again I'm so knackered I'm glad of the extra sleep. I wonder if L will mind if we don't warm-up together this morning. I crawl out of bed and onto the bike. Whose idea was it to do back-to-back sessions? What do they call this? Double bricking? Or just stupidity?

The first few miles were really hard but after a while my legs start to improve. Overall quite enjoyable. Rubbish time. Think I overdid the taking it easy bit. Then again perhaps not, as I sit in my chair at work I can feel the condition of my legs deteriorating, solidifying.

Last night I fitted a bike computer to L's bike. She reports that she did a grand 4.56K on her way into work. Every little counts as they say. She's changed her route away from Derby Road where there are fewer carcinogens. Carcinogens? I had to look that one up.

Of course L had the advantage of doing a 'reverse brick', run-bike. As her and Doggo went out for their morning run, where they were accompanied by a herd of rather stupid deer. Is there any other kind of deer? L says there are two kinds of deer - those that take no notice and those that take a fancy to you. How very human of them.

Protégé still hasn't ran, he went to Tesco instead. Now there was an opportunity, he could have ran there. Would have been quicker than taking the car.

Ride home taking a detour through Draycott for a change of scenery. A different VIEW to look at. It was flatter, slightly longer but only slightly more scenic. It wasn't my first choice of detour but when I mapped the profile of my first choice it put me off totally. It was even hillier than my usual route. Next time. Maybe.

Our pampered, overpaid, lazy footballers, who couldn't be bothered to run around against Israel are playing again tonight against the mighty Andorra. A cunning change of strategy by Mr MacClaren as he actually decides to play some left sided players on the left and some right sided plays on the right. Complicated matter this football management, no wonder they get paid so much. They win. Eventually.

Protégé texts me to say he's done 3k! Blimey. Must reassess his schedule.

Feel too knackered to go to dog class but Doggo is being a pain. Don't know if he's keen to go or just wants to play. So in the end we go. Excellent. Even extract a bit of speed out of the old codger.

Get home and L needs alcohol, so I keep her company. I have a bottle of Shepherd Neame Master Brew and we share an Old Jock.

No comments:

Post a Comment