Monday 30 April 2007

Aboard The USSS Treadmill

Day off to recover today and boy do I need it, my arms and shoulders ache. Appear to have done my back in doing the Tri. Seems life is getting its own back on me for having the audacity to take being 40 so lightly. My back did seem to be giving me trouble on the run yesterday but now it's worse. Daughter calls us a pair of skivers as she goes off to school.

Lay in. Sex. Time to catch up on the Sunday papers.

Pop down the newsagent to get my first free copy of the Times. I have taken advantage of a subscription offer that allows me to have the Times every day of the week for 24 weeks for only £2 a week. Which is the price of the Sunday Times, which I always buy, so the rest of the week is effectively free.

Despite my dodgy back I cut lawn and do some gardening. All accompanied by the compulsory ball kicking for Doggo.

By the time it gets around to 3pm Doggo is creased, which is a good job because I have a Gym induction booked. L has her own appointment with a physio. Rather bravely she bikes there and she doesn't even ask me to help her warm up.

The induction is quite good fun. There are seven of us to be induced. Four babes, a slightly overweight couple who remind me of a couple of friends of mine and me. The instructor seems to instinctively know that my back is bad, or is it just that he can tell that I'm now 40, and puts me on all the machines that stress it. He naturally selects the girl with the most cleavage to demonstrate the equipment where you have to thrust your chest out and the girl in tight lyrca trousers he puts on the machine where she has to spread her legs wide, hence giving us all a view that leaves very little to the imagination. I can see the instructor is enjoying himself and for an encore he puts the slightly overweight chap on a stretching machine where he has to adjust everything to get his stomach in.

Had my first ever run on a treadmill. Now that was a bizarre experience. All the flashing lights on the control panel make me feel like I'm in an episode of Star Trek piloting the good ship USSS Treadmill. The flipping thing was telling me all sorts of bizarre information. Mind you I did like the heart rate monitor facility, it's quite fun to watch yourself die.

In the evening its dog class and the trainer advises practicing a 'release command' for Doggo. She says a good test is to use a 'release command' when we feed Doggo. Yeah right, she doesn't know Doggo. So we sit Doggo down, give him a bowl of food, then say ok eat. Fine. But he’ll say no thanks, not right now, I’m not hungry and then he’ll wander off and do something more interesting. Like sleep or football. Such is life with our dog.

L does curried Salmon for tea again, wonderful.

At long last the results are out for yesterdays Tri. I came 119th out of 260 in the men's event, so yes this time I was comfortably mid table. 11:14 for my swim, 45:16 for my bike and 21:25 for my run. 1.17.55 in total. Which is an improvement on my first Tri last year but not by a huge amount.

113 wasn't in a team and she did beat me by 52 seconds courtesy of beating me by over a minute in the swim and over two and half minutes on the run. Must try harder. If only she hadn't used devious means to delay me on the bike.

121 was behind me overall but only really because I beat him by two minutes in the swim.

Work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment