Wednesday 11 April 2007

Pain

Biking today and consequently I get a bonus sex session. Wasn't actually expecting that, L must be getting more superstitious than me.

The traffic was awful even though I took the back way through Sandiacre. On the day the A52 road works are scheduled to start they seem to have intensified the existing road works in Sandiacre and turned it into a contra flow. The result, naturally, is gridlock. Another piece of great planning by the powers that be.

The contra flow is so narrow that you can't get a bike down the side of the cars, so I have to hop on to the pavement.

After what Doggo put me through on our run last night my legs are too tired to go fast so I do genuinely take it slow but my bike computer malfunctions so I can’t confirm it. Of course my trusting partner doesn't believe me.

My mate, the Leeds fan, emails to say he's accidentally got tickets for THE game. He's referring to the Derby v Leeds promotion / relegation decider on the last day of the season. He was determined to give it a miss but his mate's girlfriend (a Derby supporter) has got them all tickets without telling anyone. What a nice surprise and how nice of her. He’s livid. Particularly as he's in the Derby end, which he says will be full of celebrating, salivating fans. The game’s a total sell out; so they'll be 30,000 of those celebrating Derby fans. Of course when Leeds were a decent team he was a salivating Leeds fan but he’s conveniently forgotten that now. Of course there won't be much celebrating if Leeds win and Birmingham pip us for 2nd place.

After work I cycle to the pool to meet L for a quick splash. L tells me to take it slow, as usual, so that I'm not so tired that I simply drown. She says she might do a gym session first, hope she doesn't workout too hard, I might need her to pull me out.

We’re not sure whether the pool will be heaving or quiet, seeing as half the country seem to be still off work. Of course, according to the city council nobody actually uses the centres during the holidays, which is their excuse for shutting them as often as possible. So it should just be L and me, if it’s open at all that is. Either that or they'll have some 'holiday' session on and there will be a bouncy castle floating in the water.

Get to the pool and it is busy but thankfully there’s nothing bouncy floating in the pool other than the Iceberg which is afloat in lane four. L bravely shares the lane with her. I go in lane one with the big boys.

It’s very painful swimming, both my arms and my legs protest loudly. I estimate a rough 30 lengths and crawl out. Both showers are occupied and there's a queue so yet again I don't get a shower, can't be bothered to wait. In the foyer they have a computer running a satisfaction survey, I fill in it, but there's no option to object about the lack of shower facilities.

Final activity of the night is to take Doggo to training. His first for two weeks. We need a good session as we have our first event on Saturday and it's a club match. We make a few mistakes but generally we're not bad, it'll be all right on the night, as they say.

L and Daughter 'treat' themselves to Mr Bean's Comic Relief film at the cinema. L has some solemn news when they get back. The former Busted member, Matt Willis, has covered The Primitives 1988 classic "Crash". No doubt his celebrity status, gained more on "I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here" rather than with Busted, will see that it is a big hit. In fairness it's not a bad record, but that's thanks to the material rather than any contribution Mr Willis has made to it. Mr Willis, who allegedly sees himself as a music writer, has obviously given up on his own material and has instead decided to drive home the point that that cover versions are never as good as the originals, this he achieves in spades.



This record will send a shudder down the spine of Primitives fans everywhere.

Go to bed quite early for some painful sex. Neither of us is capable of going on top, L because of her fractured rib and me because of my overused ageing limbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment