Thursday 19 April 2007

Birthday Treat Cancelled!

Two alarms, L’s and Daughter’s shatter the peace and wake us all up at 6am. Well not all obviously, no life from Son’s room and as it happens no life from Daughter’s either, the gravitation pull of her bed is too strong but L is up. Blimey, she’s taking her training seriously at the moment.

I decide to take the bus today and go for an early bus because I wasn't sure how bad the A52 traffic would be, not having (as yet) sampled it in the Derby direction. It was fine. Bus was very quick. Good job there’s not much worth reading in the Metro newspaper otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to get through it all. I was at work of 8.20. Could have had more of a lie in.

My order from the excellent Wiggle arrives this morning, I had only ordered it on Tuesday. Among the order, which consists of mainly sports drinks and energy bars is a pink running shirt and two pairs of running socks that L wanted. She says she wants to look more girlie when she’s out and about. Although by wearing pink she reckons she'll clash with the dog's running outfit which is red. Well she’ll only clash if he happens to be by her side, which won’t be very often. As for looking girlie, it’s not the pink shirt but the socks, sexy white ankle length ones, that do it for me.

L loves the Maximo Park album, I’m not so sure. They don’t seem to have progressed from the first album. L says she likes it because it's so very jolly. Ah. That must be the reason why I don’t like it. Much rather have deep, dark and depressing than jolly.

No pub today.

Get home and find that four sachets of Horlicks have arrive in the post, seemingly something to do with my sleep survey.

Squash. We are booked in at Chilwell rather than Clifton, for a change. Less speed bumps involved. Rather oddly the courts are in 30 min blocks but as a none member I have to book for a minimum of an hour, and we have ended up with half an hour on court 2 and half an hour on court 3. It could only happen with the council. So we will have a half-time changeover.

It's a close game, I was slightly better than usual, he wasn't up to form, a cold he claims. Poor excuse. As I always tell L, no athlete is ever 100%, you're always carrying an injury or a ailment of some sort. I win a close first game and then lose a close second, although I should really have been two up. Then half way through being annihilated in game three, half time was called. We change courts and after completing the loss of that game I narrowly lose the fourth as well but then I stormed back to win the last two games. So 3-3 although I lost the best of 5 by 3-1.

In the end my fussy opponent decides he doesn't like the courts at Chilwell, so we're back at good old Clifton next week.

L texts to say next weeks birthday treat is off because they have cancelled the Heart Of England Duathlon. I am furious. To make it worse the Full Mash beer I wanted is off too.

Daughter does bolognaise for tea, L spices it up and we have it as chilli, very nice. Although it's very very spicy, L's hand must have slipped, she must be as furious as I am about the Duathlon.

I trawl the internet for replacement events. There are only three where the closing date hasn't passed. The British championships at Ashbourne would be a bit too mad even for me, so it's the Hereford Duathlon or the Skipton Triathlon. A triathlon would of course mean I'd have to do a bloody swim, not something I'd planned on until Derby on 13th May.

Have a couple of glasses of red wine to mull it over and dilute my fury.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know you at all but...

    Maximo Park, jolly?

    I fear you may want a re-listen.

    ReplyDelete