Tuesday 23 January 2007

They're Out To Get Me

L instigates some early sex again this morning. It's a cycling day and a quick shag used to be my good luck charm but now it appears that L's the one who's getting superstitious. Either that or she really does suspect that I might fall under a juggernaut.

It's a bit nippy on the bike but the roads do not appear to be icy. The only icy patches were a few iced over puddles but not until I got on to Pride Park. I keep an eye out for L and Doggo but don't see them. They're not even in the Police Station car park having a dump. Enjoyed the ride but it was cold and it took ages to thaw my feet out once I got to work. We don't have heating, we have air-conditioning which is no use if you want to get warm quick.

L had the bright idea of me taking the remaining flapjacks from the weekend into work. I munch on these and they're a nice pick-me-up but I suspect very unhealthy.

As I bike home, there are two attempts on my life. First a car pulls out of a side street right in front of me. I know he saw me! Then he pulls over immediately and parks on the left causing me to break hard twice.

Then a little further down the road another car accelerates past me but then breaks hard for a speed bump, cutting across my path and blocking my route between the humps, causing me to almost take-off as I am forced over the largest part of it instead. Today, they're clearly out to get me.

Eventually get home in one piece. Bit disappointed with my time, I had been really powering it through Spondon and Borrowash. However this had been counteracted by being held up on the cycle paths by two teenagers on a couple of those small BMX bikes, you know the ones that look like they'be been designed and built for six year olds. You know the routine, furious pedalling and wobbling for 10 seconds then two minutes free wheeling and wobbling as they try and get their breath back, then off they go again. Hellishly difficult to overtake. Shame their parents didn't buy them proper bikes for Christmas.

Change into running kit. I'm going to attempt to run down to meet L from her Pilates class but first Son is waiting for me and I help him install his graphics card in his new PC. Then the phone goes.

Eventually I leave, strapped to Doggo. It's still icy and I have to smash puddles for Doggo so that he can have a drink. As we run down the road there's a third attempt on my life (and Doggo's too) as without warning someone turns off the ring road with no indication whatsoever and without even slowing down. Somehow I manage to pull Doggo to a stop before they wipe us out.

L has already left Pilates so we should pass her on route but we don't. We get there and have to turn back. L phones, she is nearly back at home. How did we miss her? We eventually catch her up. L has bought one of the yoga outfits, so I have seeing her in that to look forward to.

Now for part three of tonight's hectic training routine. We go off for a quick swim at Beechdale. Big mistake. It's uncomfortably packed, standing room only. I'm sure the council likes it like this because they think they are making lots of money but in reality of course they aren't. The more serious swimmers won't come back, they'll try elsewhere but with little other options on a Tuesday, that amounts to lost business.

After having my first eight lengths aborted, I eventually take the plunge into one of the two lanes. Although both these are also packed. This is the first time that I can recall that I have gone into a lane and L hasn't. There is this infuriating woman in my lane who insists on backstroking, very slowly. Then I realise that this is also pissing everyone else off and, slowly one by one, they vacate her lane. Now if only I can get rid of her. I start trying to swim aggressively, trying to bully her out of the lane. I don’t think I'm convincing, I'm afraid my front crawl isn't very intimidating. Then the cavalry arrives and L joins us. A few lengths later the women gets out, proving who's the more intimidating of L and me.

Get home totally knackered. I've done a full tri training session, although not in the right order.

L revives me with her sausage & beans pasta dish.

Outside its started snowing. Hurrah.

Wasn't sure whether I'd sleep well or not be able to sleep at all because of all my aching limbs. I sleep and I forget to ask to see L in her new outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment