Thursday 4 January 2007

Mornings

On the bus again today. I quite enjoyed the journey but it was a bit too quick, not enough traffic! So I didn't get much of a read in. What I did manage to read though was that, according to a sleep council survey, women are much grumpier than men are in the morning. 86% of women wake up in a filthy mood (no regrettably not that kind of filthy) compared to 75% of men. They say women's waking thoughts are feelings of self-loathing and guilt: - why did I drink that wine; why did I eat that; why don't I have anything to wear; why didn't I cook something healthy; what's wrong with my hair etc etc. Most men however just think shower, shave and off we go. Personally I think even 75% of men being grumpy is poor. I like mornings.

When I got up today L looked quite lively, not at all grumpy and would probably have been up for some action but unfortunately I have the bus to catch. Damn.

Have you noticed I've stopped mentioning the cricket.

Three of my last five workdays have been Thursdays e.g. pub days. Today it's Steak & Kidney Pie. Very Good. Nine Lives 3.6% low alcohol ale from somewhere in Gloucestershire. Doggo would be miffed because I chose the ‘cat’ beer over the ‘dog’ one which was called ‘Headless dog’. They’d got loads of beers on as its beer festival week, Damson Porter, Snecklifter, Marleys Ghost and many others. Very tempting for a trip over at the weekend, worth skipping the beer festival for!

Had a busy afternoon at work. Multitasking between systems for sewage, medical waste and council bin collections. Wow! My mate tells me that today he is working on systems for sinks and ovens. He enquires if this is what we dreamt of doing when we were boys? Hmmm I still want to get a proper job when I grow up.

Squash. My opponent has started his New Year running and health kick. He's been for a 2k run no less, indoors on a treadmill of course. I wasn't terribly impressed. He is though apparently hoping to build it up gradually, over a period of weeks, to a full 3K! Then he drops in that his partner and he are intending to enter a 5K race, so he'll have to up his training for that.

L, who knows about these things, doesn't know of a 5K race where he lives but there is a 5 miler. Perhaps his partners told him its 5K, would be great if it was 5 miles. That'll kill him, particularly if I entered as well. He would never let me beat him. So it would be a bit like greyhound racing with me as the hare. He'd get a good workout out of that.

Not sure his training makes much difference to tonight's game. I won the first game, always a mistake. Lost next three. Finished 5-2 as usual. Nice racquet mark on my lower back. Pint of Funfair 3.9%.

Get home and L supplies mushroom omelette and soup. I also finish off the remains of last nights daal. I seem to have worked up quite an appetite.

I have a glass of wine; just the one, I am good.

11pm at night and I do a quick inner tube change on my bike, as I have a slow puncture in my front tyre. The chap in 'that book' does it in 8 minutes; I'm quicker than that but it's hardly race conditions.

L still looks quite lively and she breaks her watershed. Again!

No comments:

Post a Comment