Friday 26 October 2007

Is She Trying To Kill Me?

A pleasant ride in, although the weather is definitely dropping colder. I could have done with the thermal drinks bottle that I ordered the other night from Wiggle, with a strong coffee in it.

A decade or so ago you would have said that the fact it’s cold in October is a sign of a severe winter on the way but these days you just know that this will be about as cold as it gets. Shame, I like the cold.

Daughter is up bright and early. I know this because she’s started emailing me already. One of her emails refers to me as 'blog boy' so I call her 'gym bunny'. This could get petty.

L sends me an email about the Pennine World Extreme Trail Duathlon Championships. The first thing I notice is that the word ‘world’ is a bit misleading, as it’s in Glossop. Not terribly glamorous. Secondly it’s a bit on the long side. It’s a 100 mile bike which isn’t too daunting until you realise that it’s sandwiched between two full marathons and it’s all off road. In the two years since its inception only one person has ever finished it. Most of them seem to give up after taking over six hours for the first marathon. So perhaps not this year. L says she saw it and thought of me. I think she’s trying to kill me, I shouldn’t have told her about the life insurance.

She does however tell me to cycle home safely but I have to anyway as I’m carrying her new goggles that Wiggle have delivered.

When I get home (safely) L has cooked stilton topped muffins to refuel me, so she does love me after all, and there are quite a lot of them. After scoffing far too many I can barely get out of my lyrca, let alone contemplate a run to the pub. Yet this is what we have planned. It’s hard carrying around the excess weight, so it’s probably a good job we have to stop part way to do some fire fighting. Someone has being trying to set fire to one of the litter bins on the University campus. L resourcefully fills one of Doggo’s ‘poo’ bags with water and we extinguish it. Having done our bit for society we carry on our way.

At the pub I have St Austell Tribute & Three stouts and then home.

No comments:

Post a Comment