Monday 22 October 2007

Alcohol Units, You're History

Get up; well I try to. My legs are indescribable but I put a brave face on it. I’m in the car, which is a good job really; it might have taken me ages to walk to the bus. The journey is ok, it is half-term after all. That is until I reached Pride Park where the builders have conveniently blocked all the roads with their diggers and lorries; preventing everyone getting into work.

The big big news at home is that Son has finally blown the dust off the wrapper and opened his new toothbrush. He even remembered what to do with it, I think. As you can probably tell, he's at the dentist today. In fact the dentist seemed very impressed and even told him off for brushing his teeth too aggressively. How surreal. I suppose he may have brushed them aggressively this morning in a fit of panic at the impending check up but I doubt it. To my knowledge, he's never done anything aggressively in his life. The fact that he's been given the all clear means that’s the end of him brushing his teeth again for another year. Perhaps I’ll stop bothering too; it seems to be the way to go.

Daughter claims to have had bad dreams last night and blames us for forcing her to listen to Joy Division. I don't think she realises that you’re SUPPOSED to have bad dreams after listening to Joy Division. That's the whole point. L thinks it was more likely our dancing that did it. Hmmm, I thought our dancing was excellent. Doggo was a bit out of step but we were good.

Today's current affairs topic concerns the fact that it's been revealed that the current guidelines on safe alcohol consumption were 'plucked out of the air' and not based on any scientific evidence whatsoever. This concerns the recommended weekly drinking limits of 21 units for men and 14 for women, which were introduced in 1987. In fact subsequent studies have found that men drinking between 21 and 30 units of alcohol a week have the lowest mortality rate of anyone. What's more, a man would have to drink a bottle of wine a day, to face the same risk of death as a teetotaller. Of course the Government never bothered to tell us any of this. So perhaps I should stop recording how many units I drink in this blog. I shall decide over a celebratory beer tonight.

After work its dog class, which again goes well. I can't help thinking the continued absence of the Weimaraner helps. Then we collect L from yoga.

L's left a beef casserole bubbling away in the oven. It's flavoured with beer, honey and mustard. It's excellent.

It's a bit of a surprise when L announces at 10.30 that she will have half an hour with Leo and then I'm all hers. I'm surprised because after her two gym classes, she did circuits before yoga, she's not usually up for it on a Monday. As it turns out, I'm right but it's not just me who misses out, Leo doesn't even get ten minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment