Friday 13 July 2007

What Do I Follow It With?

A couple of odd things happen this morning. First, I get praise from Daughter. She seemed genuinely pleased when I woke her up. Normally this is offence punishable by death, although an essential one if she is to catch the bus to school. What dangerous lives we lead.

Near death experience over, I have to run for the bus. Not because I'm late but because the bus is early. Which brings me to odd happening number two, the driver waits for me. She doesn’t drive off laughing or try and run me over; she does however give me a right telling off. On what grounds I'm not quite sure. I consider pointing out that she is a good five minutes early but decide not to waste my breath. At least I get into Derby early and have a leisurely walk to work.

Next weekend is Hathersage Tri. This is the biggy that I've been building up to. Problem is, what do I follow it with? October is Duathlon season but I ought to do something before then. I find two triathlons during August; hilly ones in the deepest peak district but it will be difficult to fit them in around our holiday plans. I suppose I could just quit while I'm ahead and take up golf. Hmmm, perhaps not.

Triathlons apart, I had kind of planned to do another 10k, just don't tell L. Then just to mess up my plans, work arrange a night out on the same night. It's a free meal, so I'm loathed to turn it down but as L points out, when I confess to her that I'm considering another 10k, doing the run and then staggering into the Victoria, sounds a much better option. She's right and it's not as if they're considering anywhere exciting. They have asked for suggestions of other restaurants, but to be honest I can’t think of anywhere I want to go to in Derby. The 10k/pub combo sounds much more fun. Although perhaps fun is the wrong word.

Tour De France news. Vinokourov has had stitches in his leg and elbow and Kloeden has fractured his tailbone but being hardened psychos both have started today's stage. L says that Kloeden's injury (his coccyx) is a difficult one to treat. The pain takes about 18 months to 2 years to settle. Sounds like the chance of him getting up the mountains this weekend is perhaps remote. Of course he could have an injection to numb the pain but that would be classed as cheating. As if anyone in cycling would take drugs and cheat. What an absurd suggestion.

Looking on the internet, Britain's Bradley Wiggins seems to be taking today's stage as one long time trail. He's built up a lead in excess of 16 minutes. There's just a small matter of over 100 kilometres to go.

L leaves work early to walk the dog, that is if she can drag him out in the rain. Then L and Daughter get the bus over and we all head off to the Flowerpot for food. I have a pint of Thornbridge bitter, which is good. Not as evil as the Jaipur or the Russian Stout but very nice. Then Daughter goes over to her fathers on the bus and we go to the beer festival.

L's a bit off beer festivals after we perhaps had a few too many at the Ilkeston one. She says she plans on skulking in a corner and limiting herself to four crap beers. Daughter tests her resolve for a low alcohol night by getting off the bus too early and L has to guide her by mobile phone to her Fathers.

The beer festival isn't bad but we have no beers that are really special. I think we limit it to seven halves. Although some of them are thirds. Some beer festivals will now serve the beer in thirds which is good for trying more.

We leave in plenty of time to catch the Red Arrow, knowing it'll leave early, which is does but at least we catch it this time.

Bacon sandwiches at home.

Bradley had a real go but he didn't quite manage it. Caught with 5km to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment