Thursday 19 July 2007

Coffee Crises

L seems to think I'm very relaxed about leaving for work this morning but I think she's just confused knackered for relaxed. Drive in.

Still no coffee. I've no idea whose job it is to replace these things and nobody else seems to either. This must be what it's like all the time in the NHS.

L's work has a much darker crisis than our kettle and coffee problems. They have no water at all. I did hear on the radio that the whole of the NG1 area was suffering from lack of water pressure. Well that seems to have been putting it mildly. How can the wheels of the UK economy function without coffee?

L and Doggo aren't speaking, again. All because he growled at a baby Jack Russell that's a particular favourite of hers. She did pick it up, so what does she expect, I would have growled at her if I'd seen her go all goo-goo over a baby Jack Russell.

We go to the Flowerpot for lunch. Due to the smoking ban we have difficulty getting served. The entire bar staff were in the garden having a fag. I get a warning from L that if I've had cottage pie, chips and beer then she will go out and get herself a piece of cake. Hmmm I tell her I haven't but she won't believe that I've had a salad sandwich, on brown bread naturally, and a glass of mineral water. She thinks it's just a trick to stop her having cake. I think in the interests of her own well-being, that it’s better that she doesn’t know what I had but, for the record, it was very nice cottage pie and the Sharpe's Doom Bar Bitter from the Rock Inn in Cornwall wasn't bad either.

L gets a call from the Water Board warning them that the water may be going off shortly. So they're on the ball, another company who hasn't got a clue what planet it's on.

I get home and take Doggo for a quick ball session on the park. After which he looks a total wreck but still manages to drag himself out on another walk with L.

After all the trouble I've had with bloody Amazon, they've gone and sent one of my CD's out individually wrapped ‘at no extra charge to give you the speediest service possible’. Speediest service possible! They're taking the piss, why couldn't they have done that when I ordered the blessed thing a month ago. L reckons I need a good game of squash to let off some steam.

Squash doesn't help. Bit of a first though and I win the second game. I often win the first but not usually the second game and I come from behind to do so, another first. Don't win any others though. At least I look a lot better than my opponent does afterwards.

I have a choice of two beers, Springhead Liberty 3.8% or Church End Goats Milk 3.8%. I go for the Liberty, not wanting to order something called Goats Milk. The Liberty is very pale and nothing special. So I try the Goats Milk after all, much the same, but the better of the two.

I manage to stay awake through two lots of Tour de France highlights. I was a day behind due to the Maidstone trip.

Bad news. The cottage we had booked for our holiday from next weekend is no longer available to us. So I'm going to have to try and find another one at very short notice. At least we have been given quite a sizeable compensation figure from the cottage company.

No comments:

Post a Comment