Wednesday 6 June 2007

Hoodies To The Rescue

Ride in today in glorious sunshine. I've borrowed L's kit bag and her lock, so that I can attempt a swim later. There I was, tootling along, enjoying myself when I spotted some psycho come out of Risley Lane and head up the hill towards Borrowash. Some kind of automatic reaction kicks in and my legs start to give chase. I managed to close the gap on the uphill but then totally lose touch when the chap (or chapess) goes over the top. Bugger. I can't tell from a distance whether it's male or female but I sincerely hope it's male. It occurs to me that he could be out practicing on the Erewash tri course and when he turns down Draycott Road, it confirms it. He certainly wasn't going from A to B because he's going round in circles. That's really not on, practicing on the course like that.

Cycling is definitely getting more popular or it just because the sun has now come out and the fair weather cyclists have appeared. I pass tons of them when I get onto Pride Park. All cruising along at 2mph in their stylish and neatly-pressed work suits, full make-up, painted nails, hair all done up, lots of jewellery and all topped off with a whole bottle of perfume and that's just the men.

Get to work and have my porridge and a stiff drink (of juice) to recover from being trounced by the psycho.

My suntan, such that it was, hasn't lasted; it's started falling off already.

Nottingham may be the supposed gun capital of the UK but Derby appears to be the place for suicides. Yesterday was a very busy day in Derby with four suicide attempts in the space of nine hours, all involving the city's multi-story car parks. Traffic was allegedly brought to a standstill at 9am at Cockpit Island when a man threatened to jump from the car park there. Yeah right, 9am at the Cockpit Island, the traffic would have been stationary at that time of day anyway. Then it happened again when someone else made an attempt at the same place in the afternoon. Both were talked down before they jumped.

After that a woman tried to hang herself from a ledge inside the Assembly Rooms car park. Apparently a group of anti-social teenage hoodies from Chaddesden, who were hanging around waiting for their ASBO's, pulled her to safety. Just trying to explore a myth there.

Then finally, a chap managed to leap off the top of Chapel Street car park. He sustained serious injuries but survived.

I cycle home and do a bit of the Tri course myself (without practicing it) and then onto the pool. The pool is very quiet but my legs are very stiff after the cycling and I suffer badly from cramps, so I don’t get in as many lengths as I would have hoped.

L limps home after another injection in her injury.

I take Doggo to dog class, where he performs well, even on the weaves but then he develops a limp and gets sent home early. He has been lifting his paw a few times at home recently. I can't see anything wrong with it but then when I attempt to look between his toes he bites me on the finger, on my squash hand.

L has a glass of wine to recover from her hard day, I have a glass of wine to recover from my throbbing hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment