Friday 1 June 2007

Having My Oats

It's a nice day for a bike ride today, lovely and sunny, so I get to top up my ‘tan’, not that I have one, on the way to work. I wasn't with it though as I rode along. My mind was elsewhere, which isn't very good when you need to be alert on the roads. However this is a tactic that I will need to try and replicate in my next triathlon because at 51:45 it was my best time ever for the Sandiacre route to work by over a minute and I wasn't even trying to be quick.

I'm always starving after I've biked to work, despite the fact I have breakfast before I leave. I usually refuel with protein shakes and flapjacks but now I've gone all healthy and have stored a big bag of porridge oats at work. After I've had my oats I have so much energy that I don’t know what to do with it. Is this the way it goes with porridge, you have your oats, and then you want to go straight out and sow them. Dangerous stuff. Unfortunately it's a good nine hours before the usual Friday night game of hunt the X.

The post office have pushed a 'fee to pay' card though our door demanding 6p unpaid postage plus a £1 administration fee before they will deliver one of Son's birthday cards. It's so laughable I can't resist complaining to them. I mean we've not charged them for any of the three parcels that they've lost in the last few years. Nor the one that they delivered over our five-foot tall gate that smashed when it landed on the other side. Nor have we ever charged them for redelivering all the incorrect mail that they regularly push through our door. Although now I'm thinking of sending them a bill.

Get a whinging email from the Leeds ex-fan, saying that never again will he drink beer. He'll soon be running out of things to give up. He went out for a two whole pints and says he woke up feeling rubbish this morning. Could be his age, he's 45 going on 65. He reckons he's sticking to Champagne in future.

He goes on to whinge about how things aren't what they used to be. Correction, he's 45 going on 85. Things are never what they used to be and change is rarely progress, just look at Leeds United but life would be very dull if nothing ever changed. Embrace it.

Talking of football, Derby have totally sold out of season tickets. That's 23,500 they’ve sold which is five thousand more than they've ever sold before. Oddly people seem to want to watch Premiership football.

I ride home and again attempt to go through Kegworth. Luckily I've spotted a 'long' cut on the map which avoids dicing with death at the M1 junction. It works well although it's a narrow road that's got the dreaded loose chippings sprinkled liberally all over it. I come across a fellow cyclist mending a puncture; chippings induced no doubt. I offer my help but he seems to have it in hand.

It's not a bad route, so will do it again. Added bonus is that the forecast rain does not arrive.

Home to L, who's been to the physio again but I decide to skip all that looking for the X malarkey and go straight to the bit where L deals with my saddle sores.

After that, we walk over to the Victoria. L says we'll just have a couple but it hardly seems worth the walk for just a couple. So I end up having the usual four pints but that was L's fault. If she hadn't disliked the beer that she had it would have only been three and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment