Sunday 24 June 2007

The Big Decision

A rare treat today, a proper lie in with all the trimmings.

Then we get up and head off up to Hathersage. All my fault. I am going to attempt the triathlon bike course to see whether I am up to entering their event in late July. The closing date is next weekend, so it's now or never for a reccie. The weather is foul as we drive up. The swim part will be in the Hathersage Lido and L, who's brought her swimming kit, I haven't, will get to sample the open-air pool. Although not until 3pm, as its season tickets only until then.

So L takes Doggo for a walk while I sample the delights of hilly Hathersage on my bike. The course is undulating but it's not actually as bad as I feared it might be. That is, apart from one killer climb which, although hardly alpine, climbs steadily for around four and half miles. My legs were aching a tad by the top. Mind you I did most of it without resorting to my bottom gear although I did give in on the last bit. Lots of cyclists around. I even pass one on the big hill, although he pulls over and pretends to be eating a sandwich when he sees me closing in on him.

There are also some pretty fearsome downhills on the course, made worse by the weather (wet) and the traffic (busy). Hopefully these won’t be an issue on race day, if I enter. I complete the course in 45 minutes which seems to compare well with the times from last year. Just not sure how a hilly run would go down with my legs after that.

Back at the car I meet up with L and Doggo. L is slightly appalled because the rain seems to have rendered my lycra shorts practically transparent. It doesn't help that the combination of lycra, exercise and a female presence has had the usual predictable effect. I strip off in the car; regrettably it's a fairly busy street, and slip into some dry clothes.

We do a bit of shopping and I buy a new top for the Grand Prix races that I’ve gotten myself into. It’ll also do well for my cycling. L waits outside the shop with Doggo but dogs seem welcome at all the shops and they get invited inside. Good marketing ploy, as L leaves with a top too.

After L has reccied the pool for me, we manage to find time for a pint. Downpour from the Macclesfield Storm brewery. It's 'interesting' to see all the people in the pub totally immersed in Eastenders and hanging on every word and plot line, as if it's important. Oh, how the other half lives.

Back home I cook up a chilli and we have two glasses of wine. Very naughty on a Sunday. Then it's time to make a big decision. The wine has nothing to do with the fact that I log on and enter Hathersage.

39 units not a good alcohol week.

No comments:

Post a Comment