Saturday 23 June 2007

A Frustrating Day, Only Two Firsts And A Second

I head off to a UKA agility event today. It's our first event of theirs for 18 months and we are marooned at the Beginners level. I have asked the organisers if they could promote us to a higher level on the basis of our results elsewhere but they won't so we have to go and win out. 18 months ago, we got two firsts and a second in four events but due to the poor attendance they halved the points on offer, so we didn't rack up enough to go up. Hopefully this time we'll do it but it adds extra pressure.

The venue is very soggy and we do not have a good start. Doggo demolished the spread jump in the Power & Speed event. One of our trainers sees it and says I didn't give him enough room. How much room does he need?

Overall the standard is not high and we record the only clear round in Jumping and win a whisky tumbler for our troubles. In Agility it is much closer. Two clear rounds! We are the fastest of the two but only just. So another win and a wine glass this time.

I fancy another wine glass to complete the pair. So hopefully Doggo will oblige in the Steeplechase. It's an easier course this time and there are lots of clears, well about eight. We are still quickest, until some woman flukes her mad collie round. He's totally out of control but on a simple course like that she gets him round clear. We know we are beat, so no matching wine glasses, just a rosette for second place.

Not bad I suppose and I calculate it's enough to promote us in three of the four classes but probably not quite enough in the Steeplechase.

Results apart it's a frustrating day. It is the slowest dog show on record and that's saying something. How can such a small show take so long? I desperately need alcohol.

I finally escape and head home to L. She says she's totally destitute so it might have to be a cheap night if we’re off out. Not a problem, I can sub her. She'll just have to pay me back 'in kind'. So I take her to bed to catch up on what we missed this morning. We incorporate a short half time break when Son comes home and L gets up to welcome him and then back to bed for the finale.

Then we dump Doggo and head into town. We drop into the Fellows where the Claytons Bitter is now brewed in a association with the Nottingham Brewery. Basically I think they’ve re-badged Nottingham’s EPA. Disappointed with that we move on to the Vat and Fiddle where they have the rare sight of Taylors Ram Tam. One of my favourites and very nice tonight. I have three pints. L is on the dangerous Leffe again. We end up at Savera for a curry and a cobra beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment