Thursday 29 November 2007

Odd Morning

It's been an odd morning.

Odd happening number one. L offers to help Son with his paper round but it means he has to get up before (gulp) 7am. He accepts.

Odd happening number two. I shout Daughter to get up and she replies 'Thanks' and not 'Go to hell I'm having another half an hour' or words to that effect.

Odd happening number three. The bus driver gives me change and not in 5p coins, in notes.

They say that mobile phones may cause brain damage. Too late. Looking at the various specimens on the bus this morning with them jammed against their ears, it's already happened. Mobile phone girl is in full flow, recommending to her friend that she get herself a Wonderbra. Then after a pause, and this is major moment in everyone's lives on the bus today because she never pauses, she sheepishly say 'Oh. Didn't realise you always wear one. You look great in it, it really suits you.' Creep.

This week in the post I've had a renewal notice from Camra for our life membership that 'runs out' on 01/01/2008! So I ring them up in a rage, expecting to be told that life no longer means life and just like criminals you are ‘free’ after so many years but apparently no, it's their fault, a computer error.

Squash. So bad were my opponents blisters after his 'wrong shoes' moment last week that he reckons he's been wearing slippers all week, even in the supermarket.

I lose the first nine points without returning a decent ball. I finally get going or perhaps his arm just gets tired after so much serving and we split the rest of the points in that game, which obviously isn't enough to save it for me. Things are much better in the next which I win easily. I lose a close third but then win an epic fourth 16-14. He's not happy about that. The decider is close but I lose out. That does him in and he concedes the next game when I'm 12-5 up, he's never done that before. I assume he's saving himself for the last game which he duly wins. So I lose the match 3-2 and the night 4-3 but I'm pleased with that.

Another ale from the Cottage Brewery in the pub, very nice this week. One and a half pints. Home to L and a glass of red and some 'real' slag. L says I need the red wine to cut through the cholesterol in the Spanish Omelette and chips, healthy chips though.

No comments:

Post a Comment