Friday 2 November 2007

Fireworks

As I cycle in today and have to swerve around several silly 4x4's poking their noses in at junctions, I ponder on the merits or otherwise of being clipped by one. I've always worked on the assumption that the bonnet of a normal car isn't too bad a place to land but being impaled on the bars on the front of one of those monstrosities. No thanks.

A colleague of mine at work is enthusiastically training for next years the Erewash Tri, which isn't until July, so he's got plenty of time to lose that enthusiasm. Also, so far, he’s refusing to train for the swim part. Which I can thoroughly relate to but he's going to have to face it at some stage, just like I had to.

Talking of Tri's, there's a chap from Derby who's been on local radio because he's qualified for the Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Florida. Despite that feat though his wife is still refusing to let him buy a £3,000 time trial bike and says if he's got that sort of money then he can take her on holiday instead. Well firstly a holiday would be over in a week and his bike will see him good for at least a year and also isn't she getting a nice holiday anyway, to the Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Florida? Some people are never satisfied.

L isn't in work today, so I'm not getting emails from her, well apparently she is sending them from home, but our hopeless email system is swallowing them somewhere.

On the way home a cyclist tucks in behind me and tails me, I hate it when they do that, I do it all the time, all I can see is his front light. Thankfully he soon turns off and leaves me in peace.

I get home safely, dodging the fireworks that have started already. It's not been too bad for the last few weeks but I imagine this weekend is going to be horrible for Doggo.

L and I settle in the bedroom, protecting Doggo from the fireworks. So far he's taking it fairly well, chilled on his back having his tummy stroked. I'm the same.

Daughter is keeping watch upstairs waiting for the display at the junior school to start, although elsewhere the blue touch paper has already been lit. In fact there's plenty going on that I can enjoy without even getting up off the bed. There's quite a show being put on, fireworks a plenty, rockets going up. Eventually the school kicks off too; L is torn over which display to devote her attention to. Eventually she runs upstairs to join Daughter and nearly misses one particularly large explosion that rocks the house but she catches it before she goes. Doggo is hiding in the corner but its impressive stuff.



After the fireworks are over we catch the bus over to Derby, leaving Smash Hits radio, or was it Kerrang, on for Doggo to drown out any more bangs.

We hit the Flowerpot. Oakham 5.7%. Sarah Hughes 6%. Black Hole 5.5% Deventio 4.5% Not bad. Nearly all dark. I misread the bus timetable and we are hanging on for the 11.50 bus until we realise there isn’t one and catch the 11.20 instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment