Saturday 8 September 2007

A Night On The Medicinal

I head off up to Wigan for a dog show today. A cracking first run sees us set the fastest time. We are an early starter so we don't expect to remain top of the pile and we don't. However we are pleased with a creditable 6th place.

On a tricky second course, I concentrate that hard on getting the first and last parts of the course right that I cock up the easy bit in the middle and send Doggo the wrong way over a jump. Sorry mate.

Our final run is ok, we're clear but very slow, 6 seconds off the pace rather than the 1.5 we were earlier in the day. I think I let him have too much of a whale of a time barking, snarling, and the like all day. I think he's barked himself out. Must rethink my tactics and perhaps keep him away from the other dogs a bit more. We must also build on our strengths and practice tighter turns round the hurdles. I tell Doggo he has homework, he looks nonplussed.

When we get home, L is a bit miffed I'm late because we had to wait for the presentation of our 6th place. So we don't make the cinema. It turns out rather well for me though as we go over to Lenton and the Johnson Arms where I see Old Peculiar on a Nottingham bar for the first time in around 10 years and what's more it's in terrific shape. I could have stayed there all night. Although hardly anyone is drinking it, which is bizarre and the pub should be promoting it. If they'd took out a full page ad in the local paper people would have come from miles around to sample it, such is the novelty value of it’s appearance in these parts.

Having already opened with the more refreshing Cumberland, I then concentrate on the Old Peculiar. As I'm ordering a third one, it does occur to me that perhaps this isn't such a good idea, as I'm still contemplating a 10k race tomorrow but then again it's very medicinal. It successfully dulls the pain in my ankle but I still might need it in my drinks bottle in order to get me round the course. Also my body is going to take some serious re-hydrating in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment