Sunday 2 September 2007

Lost In Lincoln

We have time for a short lie-in and some pleasant recreation. Although Son comes back from his paper round at exactly the wrong moment, much to L’s frustration.

Then we drive to Lincoln for a Street Orienteering event. My course it 5.2k with 20 controls, L's is 4.4k with 15 controls. I give L the choice of running first or second. She says she'll run last, no pressure on her then. Probably more pressure if she ran first, making sure she's back for my start time. I start and waggle Doggo's ears as I pass. Unfortunately he's not allowed to do this one with me.

I catch a portly gentleman who started two minutes ahead of me at control number 4. It is going well. I reckon as I can run 5k in around 20 mins in a triathlon, then this shouldn’t take much longer than half an hour. How wrong can you be? The course is a nightmare, far too technical for my brain and my eyesight, because you need to read the map very closely. I get lost when I come across loads of blocked ways, locked gates, and tall unclimbable walls. The portly gentleman passes me while I'm lost looking for number 5. The next time I see him he’s sat at the finish eating a sandwich.

L looks terrified as I finish because it’s took me so long. She goes off on her run. She does well though and takes around the same time for her slightly shorter course.

The results do not make good reading I’m a massive 27 minutes off the winner it, 23rd out of 31. L is 14th out of 19.

We stop over in Bingham on the way home for a Sunday lunch and a cracking pint of Bateman's XXXB.

In the evening we watch part three of Anna Karenina. Constantine finally breaks in Kitty but not much else happens.

34 units this week. I though it was going to be a good week but I forgot about the 8 units I had last Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment