Monday 17 September 2007

Never Mind Michael, Just Think Of The Money

For some reason my legs feel dead this morning. Despite the fact that I've done very little training over the weekend. I'm in the car today, so I have time to indulge with the battered one but it’s a struggle to make it a quickie. Luckily, despite the lack of skin on her knees, she helps me out.

As I drive into work, there's a huge hold up on the A52. The cause is the Selly Oak charity cycle ride and its support team. Are they sane? Sponsored death on the A52, very daring.

On the radio, Andy Whittaker tells us how good his Radio Nottingham cheerleaders were. He's doesn't make it clear whether he's referring to the shortness of their skirts or how well they shook their pompoms but I certainly don't remember seeing them. Perhaps they just put on a private performance for him.

Oddly for England our best sport seems to be football at the moment, certainly not cricket, or rugby. England's Women reached the World Cup quarter-finals after comfortably beating Argentina 6-1. It's odd to see an Argentinian side so poor at football. A cracking own goal and two penalties contributed to England's total.



There's another big game tonight of course, for us minnows in the big piranha lake that is Premiership Football. I’m quite looking forward to it. I’ve watched that Michael Owen chap on TV twice this week. God he’s useless, he’ll never score against our defence. I’m hoping for an inspired Billy style 1-0. Hopefully we'll put in a performance so dour that the TV cameras will never darken our doors again and hence force us to play on a Monday night. Mind you I'm packing my fantasy team with Newcastle players just in case I’m wrong.

At the match I'm pleasantly surprised to find out that I'm not wrong. Derby do win 1-0 but it isn't particularly dour. Well apart from the sulking quartet that is Newcastle's midfield, Messrs Smith, Butt, Milner and Geremi. Alan Smith for one seems to spend the entire game with his hands in his imaginary pockets until at one stage he wakes up, kicks a few people, gets booked, has an argument with the referee before getting back to some more top quality slouching and sulking. Sheer class. Then there's Nicky Butt but don't get me started...



In all, a stirring team performance all round from Derby and a spectacular wonder goal from new signing Kenny Miller wins the game. It's also nice to see you picking our best defender from last season again Billy, welcome back Dean Leacock, no idea why he left you out.



Never mind Michael, just think of the money.

We pop into the Harrington for a pint afterwards and find that they've had a beer festival over the weekend and have quite a few leftovers. Parish from Borough on the Hill, very nice and Thornbridge Lord Marples.

L's been on the park with Doggo and claims that her friend, the psycho deer, the one whom she claims that if it were human it would swim over you in the pool and elbow you in the face, is still around, having escaped the cull.

This brings me nicely to the fact that I've had an email from the Ticknall Triathlon people trying to entice me to partake in their event. 6k road run, 30k hilly bike, 4.5k off road run. Sounds absolutely vile. How could I possibly refuse such an unattractive offer?

No comments:

Post a Comment