Friday 9 February 2007

Unstoppable

Had a very enjoyable warm up with L before I even checked to see whether the weather was conducive to cycling. Had to bike after I’d done that really. It's certainly cold but it doesn't look too bad from the bedroom window. The main roads turn out to be fine but the side roads are a bit interesting. I practically had to walk the bike down to the end of our road.

L will be pleased to know I took it very easy. I had time to enjoy the views; all the snow on the hills looked very decorative. I even took the long way round when I got to Derby to avoid the minor roads in case they were icy. So I was being very sensible. The hardest bit was crossing the icy footbridge over into Pride Park which isn't easy in cycling shoes. Good news is that I still did a pretty good time.

Also had a minor success and got an old chap on a bike to say good morning to me. Normally all the older cyclists are right grumpy sods and won't acknowledge you at all.

L gets in touch and says she wishes she'd talked me out of cycling. She herself slipped over as she was crossing the road on her way to work. Glad I didn’t get the bus, didn’t fancy walking on those pavements.

Mr Frisky, our dog had a great time on the park, where there is actually still quite a lot of snow around on the grass; he ate most of it. He was so absorbed in the snow he even skipped merrily past the deer without seeing them.

I tell L to pack her thermals for Scotland next week. Its -5 degrees at Cairngorm today, -25 degrees with wind chill. Good job she's got her PJs. She's trying to talk me into getting some. If this is a fantasy of hers then I'm happy to indulge her as long as she doesn't expect me to actually sleep in them. I would be far too hot and sweaty.

Our previously hopeless cricket team beat Australia in the first of the three-legged final. Amazing.

Finally sent my Ipod off for repair.

It rains most of the afternoon which isn't good news as it means I'm going to get soaked on the way home. Then things get worse and it turns to snow.

It's not too bad at first, apart from the flakes getting in my eyes. The roads are that wet and salty it's not settling but then as I get on the hillier parts it is starting to settle particularly in the gutter where us cyclists have to ride. Luckily the cars seem to give this madman on the bike a wide berth. Can someone ring Radio Derby and tell them it's snowing.

I often sing to myself as I bike, today for some reason the words "Tonight make me unstoppable" spring to mind from Bloc Party's new single 'The Prayer'.

Get home without any mishaps although the last bit, getting to our house, is tricky as the quieter roads do have a covering of snow. Decide it's easier to ride the bike than walk and slip in cycling shoes. Get home but there's only Doggo and a dark house to greet me after my heroic journey. L is being induced into Daughter's Gym and has taken Daughter with her. Son is presumably away somewhere in the dark reaches of cyberspace.

Strip almost naked in the kitchen, there is snow everywhere. Doggo has a field day, not knowing whether to drink from the puddles on the floor or lick my blue feet. Put the gas fire on and run a hot bath. Decide I can't thaw out in front of the fire yet as my feet are just too cold and painful. I rub one foot with a towel while Doggo licks the other, then we swap. He can be a useful dog. I text L to ask if she's noticed that it's snowing. Apparently she has.

Then I lounge in the bath with a hot protein shake and muffins with jam. L did say I should be adventurous and make my own mini pizzas or something. However having just cycled home in a blizzard, I’m not sure I can take any more adventure today.

By the time they get home, I'm curled up in my dressing gown in front of the fire with Doggo. L makes hot soup and 'adventurous' cheese and ham toasties. We have this with some mulled wine that has been languishing in the wine rack for the past year. Very warming.

I think the mulled wine quickly goes to L's head and with me sitting there in just my dressing gown I think I may have managed to get all my aches thoroughly dealt with there and then in front of the fire had Daughter now been in the house. As it was L pops her new PJs on and we retire to bed with a beer at 9pm. Neither my dressing gown nor her PJs stay on for very long. Aches all sorted. A very pleasant evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment