Wednesday 28 February 2007

Once More Unto The Breach

Really must bike today. No sound of rain on the window. Radio suggests the only rain is in the east and heading further eastwards. Sounds good. There are however warnings of strong winds. I go for it.

The radio is wrong. Once I'm kitted up it starts raining but I don't bottle it. Its true what they say. Once you've taken the step in getting your kit on you're unlikely to change your mind. I don't. In any case before I've done the first mile the rain has ceased. It is however 'a touch' windy.

Ecstatic when I make it to work in one piece. Was a rubbish time, so I must have taken it easy? L will be pleased I was so careful. However when I tell her she merely remarks that I must be very brave or mad. I prefer mad.

L's had an exciting morning too. Oh their run, she and Doggo bumped into a woman running with a mongrel and GSD. Apparently they sort of speak but Doggo always growls at the GSD. So they aren't getting to become friends.

He's not keen on GSDs. They are number five on his hit list I believe. After, in reverse order: - Dalmatians, Belgian Shepherds, Weimaraners and top of the list Poodles. Although L thinks there's a good case for ankle-biting shiatsu's to be in there. We don't come across too many shiatsus when we do agility, which is a shame because it would be great to see.

Apparently Son has got to take in a baby photo for the school year book. That'll be a hoot. Unfortunately he needs it today and as usually only mentions it as he's getting his coat on to leave. Erm a tad short notice. This will now result in a delay to the printing of the whole yearbook.

Unlike my friend from Leeds, who's permanently depressed, my friend from Scunthorpe is on cloud nine. Scunthorpe United have won thirteen games in a row and are walking away with Division 3 (or League One as apparently some people now call it). They are nine points clear at the top. Four wins from their remaining eleven games should guarantee them promotion. They could get those before the end of March. This is a team that have spent last thirty years apart from two in the base division. The last time they reached such dizzy height was in 1958 when they were the last team to be Third Division North champions.

All bad news for poor old Nottingham Forest who are now left scrapping over the remaining automatic promotion place. I doubt they have the stomach for the play offs, so if they don’t get in those top two places, I can’t see them going up.

L emails to say it's bloody windy in Nottingham. Hmmm only a slight breeze here. Ideal cycling weather.

L emails again to say the weather's now totally foul in Nottingham and raining quite a lot. Hmmm not raining here, well perhaps the slightest of drizzle, it was quite heavy earlier but the gale force winds must have blown it over to Nottingham. Conditions now ideal for cycling.

With my loving partner totally reassured, I step outside. "Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more" as Henry V once said (via Shakespeare), "imitate the action of the tiger, stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood" etc etc

Had a cracking wind assisted ride home, although the odd sideways gust was a bit interesting. Cracking time too. 51:14 which is almost a whole minute quicker than my best. Can't be right, can't believe the wind was behind me all the way, on wet roads too. Bike computer says I hit a top speed of 50kph? Surely not. Oh well who am I to argue with technology.

Daughter not going to guides tonight. I don't ask why, assume Hollyoaks is just too good to miss tonight. Cook a rather odd but tasty frankfurter bolognaise. Then head off to dog class. Which goes amazingly well. Doggo does everything I tell him to, perfectly, even when I tell him to do the wrong things!

No comments:

Post a Comment