Saturday 17 March 2007

Anyone For Clachnacuddin

We get up early-ish to nip to our local farm shop. Then we drop Daughter at the gym and head off for our run around the nature reserve. Strangely there was no sign of the demonic Dalmatian.

Instead we got Gemma the female collie. Not sure if it was her or Doggo who was on heat but he just wouldn't leave her alone. Sniffing and licking whatever he could get his snout on. In the end I had to pull him away. Doggo was terribly miffed, obviously she smells and tastes good. L says I would be the same if it was girl in a short skirt and boots. I would like to make it clear that I do not go around sniffing girls in short skirt and boots. Not often anyway. That would be a very good way of getting punched.

It’s a busy day. We drive Daughter over to Derby and then back home for a quick lunch. After lunch I'm back over to Derby on the bus for the match. I'm using the bus because my zigzag ticket should get me up to Belper for a party tonight.

A young chap gets on the bus with his dog. Which sits by his feet in the aisle but the bus is packed so he moves the dog, a spaniel, on to his knee. The next time I look the dog is sat beside him, on the seat, looking out of the window. He loved it, having the time of his life. L texts me to say we have a dog the same at home, loving it, asleep on my pillow.

Derby put in their usual dire first half performance but are gifted a penalty which enables them to take the lead before some static defending gives Cardiff an equalizer. Billy Davies obviously gives the team a roasting at half time because they come out a different side for the second half. They score two terrific goals and come out 3-1 winners. This takes us back to the top as Birmingham don't play until Sunday. Worryingly Sunderland are back to winning ways.

I haven't mentioned the cricket world cup, mainly because of the 'fixed' draw that means that the first two weeks of the tournament should have been largely irrelevant. Well today two shocks as Ireland beat Pakistan and Bangladesh beat India. It's suddenly got interesting. The defeat put Pakistan out and should hopefully get Ireland through in their place.

I meet L in Derby and we head up to Belper. An old school friend of mine, who I haven't seen for around ten years, has booked a coffee shop for her 40th birthday party. Apparently the cakes are excellent. Although she is cheekily charging a tenner for admittance.

We have a couple of pints, two pints of Milestone, in one of the local pubs before we hit the pre-party event in a different pub. I have a Lancaster Bomber there. Then we get bubbly at the party, so we are already well oiled and worryingly they have a terrific selection of Belgian beers. Regrettably these are not included in the admission price. L has a Rodenbach Grand Cru and I have one of my favourites Rochfort. This is a beer you don't see around very often. I have the middle strength one, the 8, a mere 9.2% I thought the 10, at 11% might be pushing it a touch. They're so good we both go back for seconds.

We meet some strange people including a scary female psycho who runs marathon and her husband who was a runner but is now a professional drinker and obscure football game follower; he likes nothing better than to pop up to Inverness to watch Clachnacuddin in the Highland League.

The buffet is good but I overdo the cake. Unfortunately I make sure that I get my tenners worth. Having pavlova, cheesecake and chocolate cake is probably over the top. We are handed birthday cake as we leave but we take that home, as well as extra portions for the kids.

It wasn't a wise move to eat the birthday cake when I got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment